Women's Self Defense Classes
We at SAFE International™ realize that women have very different concerns, fears, and needs than males in regards to personal safety. They experience many different issues on an everyday basis, from stares and comments to physical gestures and advances, so teaching a generic self defense course would not be optimal. We listened to these concerns and tailored a course that is not only educational, but also practical and memorable.
Unfortunately, most self defense courses ignore or give lip service to the most important aspects of real self defense, which are how to recognize and avoid potential violence. It is critical that a self defense course give students the strategies to identify possible hazards during their daily routines, whether they are walking in the park, driving to work, or riding an elevator with strangers. One is most likely to encounter violence during their normal daily activity when they are not alert or focused on their environment. We give our clients the confidence to go through their daily lives aware and alert.
Of course, there are the obvious concerns regarding the physical aspect of self defense. One common concern we hear from women is about their ability to defend against someone who may be bigger and stronger. Another typical question we are asked is about how to develop the right attitude to defend themselves and their loved ones. We listened to their concerns and created a course that is not only educational, but also meets our clients’ personal situations and needs, whether they are an on-the-go business woman, or a busy stay-at-home mom.
While there are some similar safety concerns between men and women, most men have no idea what women go through on an everyday basis, so we make a point of offering some of the male perspectives we hear on a regular basis.
How Will You Benefit From A SAFE™ Self Defense Course?
- By learning Awareness & Avoidance Strategies to help you “Get Home Safely To Your Family.”
- By learning how to use Intelligent Verbal Diffusion Strategies to avoid confrontation.
- By learning Easy-To-Use Self Defense Concepts.
- By learning how to handle Common Attack Scenarios.
Have You Ever Asked Yourself Any Of The Following Questions? Well, You’re Not Alone, We Can Help!
- Who do attackers usually choose to victimize, and why?
- How should I approach my car in a parking lot or underground?
- Should I really trust my intuition? What if it is wrong?
- How should I walk so I don’t look like an easy target?
- Is there a safest place to stand on an elevator?
- Is being too polite a bad thing? Would an attacker take advantage of my kindness?
- Even though I am nervous taking shortcuts, I still take them. After all, what are the odds I will ever be attacked?
- I am always uneasy and concerned when I use public transportation like buses, the subway, and taxis. Why is that?
- When someone rings my doorbell, I feel nervous opening the door to them, but I do because I don’t want to appear rude. Is this potentially dangerous?
- I hear that cell phones can be a good and bad safety device, but I am not sure which. Why is that?
- Is it safer to carry my purse across my body or over one shoulder?
- I always wonder if I should fight to keep my valuables and identification. Is there a correct answer?
- Wouldn’t a kick to the attacker’s groin stop him quickly?
- What if I am not strong enough to defend myself against a bigger, stronger person?
Book A SAFE International™ Self Defense Party!
This Is Not Your Mother's Tupperware Party!
Invite a group of your friends and family for a few hours of fun, education, and potentially lifesaving instruction with one of our SAFE™ Women’s Self Defense Parties. Plan a meal, snacks, or dessert, and be prepared for a unique self defense experience! What made us so popular is our unique method of teaching with humour and our sharing of anecdotes. Experience our simulated attacks in scenario-specific situations such as at the front door, being followed, walking at night to the car, and more.
The women we have taught, in many ways, have helped shape the course for SAFE International™ by sharing their stories of tragedy and success.
Years ago, I was invited to be the keynote speaker at the Annual Ontario Block Parents Convention. There were about 100 adults in attendance, comprised of about 75 women. There were also about 25 police officers. I began my talk on how to avoid and handle potentially dangerous situations such as being followed, elevator safety, parking lots, distraction techniques, etc., and all the women were laughing while about 20 male police officers sat there with their arms crossed staring at me seriously. I was thinking this might not be going so well even though all the women were laughing. At this point, the senior police officer in the group stood up and asked if he could say something. At this moment, I was thinking, “Well, this is probably the end of my business. He is going to tell me not to make a joke out of personal safety.” He actually told the group that this was the best approach to personal safety he had ever seen! I spoke to him after and told him how he scared the life out of me. He said that as a police officer, he was sitting listening to the information and not focusing on the humour. He agreed that with women as the majority of the population, humour was a unique way to get the message across.
This is a definite difference I find between teaching men and women. Maybe the best proof I had that the use of humour was an effective and unique way to teach self defense was when I had a woman who managed a home for abused women came out to watch one of my seminars. After the course, she approached me about doing a seminar at her shelter. I expressed my concern about teaching with humour and how would it go over in an intense setting like that. She said, “Chris, I have never known anyone to get upset because you made them laugh. I noticed that you make the topic fun to learn and you are not making fun of the topic.” That sealed it. It confirmed to me that I had found the perfect way to teach the topic of self defense.
SAFE International™ Self Defense Parties were featured on Global TV!
....Or Book your Bachelorette Party with us!
Your wedding is a special day, one you will remember forever. Why not make your bachelorette party memorable too, for you and your favourite gal pals? We have the perfect way to get all your wedding festivities started: a self defense party! Not only will you get to spend some quality time with your BFFs, but you’ll learn some valuable life-saving skills. And your hubby-to-be will also feel great knowing you’re taking steps to take care of yourself!
We offer a short, fun-filled, action packed 2 hour course, or a more in depth 4 hour program, it's up to you! We can even tailor the topics covered to the concerns and needs of the group.
SAFE International™ has the mobility and flexibility to offer a self defense course to meet whatever needs you and your group may have. Please visit the rest of our site to see what other course options are available.