Suggestions for ignoring the bully:
- Walk away when the bully approaches you. Try and imagine that you’re walking away from a friend. This can be a way of making sure your body language (which you’re usually unaware of) doesn’t give away a sense of fear;
- Concentrate on something else. Try thinking about what you’ll do next weekend, counting to 100, or planning your homework;
- Have a saying or a statement that you can repeat in your head when the bully approaches you to block out a sense of fear.
- What if you can't walk away. Far too simplistic to say walk away! What if they chase you or what if you are blocked with no exit?
- How can someone concentrate on something else if confronted with someone who is being verbally or may be physically abusive? Think about what you are going to do next weekend? I suggest the only thought for most is fear if they have never been taught how to deal with bullies.
- Saying a statement in your head without any direct strategies to deal with the bully will not have any effect on the bully.
What do you think?